Thursday, April 2, 2009

Come, let us go up unto the mountain of the Lord


Today I was able to go to the temple right after work. It was great, it could have only been better if I had my sunshine with me, but she is where she needs to be right now. (Sidebar, she really is my sunshine, since she's been gone its been cold and snowy...) I wanted to go as soon after work as I could so I wore my churchy clothes to work, anticipating the reactions and questions of my co-workers. I actually like to dress nice every now and then and wear a tie and what not, but when I do I get a lot of grief about brown nosing, being gay(???), etc... I usually respond by saying I have a job interview and walk off. I work in a wonderful but sometimes weird place.

Anyway I was enjoying being dressed up, I was trying to mindful of where I was going and mind my p's and q's. I was saying extra little prayers in my mind, listened to the BYU-I mormon lite station (they need to get Punjab to say KAAAYYYYBEEEEEWWWHHHHYYYYEYYYYYYEEE, like he does on KYOT smooooth jazzz), and generally I had a great day.

I got off work a little early so I could catch the 5:15 PM session without totally having to run (we're always late). I was on time and still at the back of the room. The Rexburger's are doing well at keeping the temple full (I've heard rumor that they might ask a stake to start going back to the IF temple). Being at the back was a blessing because I had a lot of time to contemplate and look at the design of the temple and the beauty of the murals. Whilst lost in contemplation (and trying not to melt, curse you thin skinned old people!!!) I had a tender mercy moment when I saw a single sister enjoying the temple session. I can't really get into detail here, but it struck me how the Lord uses regular people as angels to bless the lives of others. It reminded me of a great scripture regarding widows and the fatherless. The Lord really cares for each of us individually and puts in place opportunites for us to be blessed and to bless others. I was a little sad because I was there without my wife and then I saw this sweet sister there without a husband at all (don't ask me how I know, its priviledged information), and how there happened to be a single brother there to help this woman and me by his example.

Going to the temple is always a great experience, but today just seemed to be extra spiritual. I felt like I had many insights, a good boost, and I got to give a little service myself to a 131 year old chap from Yorkshire (not as good as Lancashire, but its Wuthering Heights teritory). I am so grateful to have these kinds of opportunities and blessings. To be able to see the temple from about everywhere I go in Rexburg. To have a family sealed in the temple and so richly blessed by the Lord. And to have the knowledge that He is watching over everyone and providing blessings as often as He can. Life is good.

4 comments:

Eliza said...

I was so happy when you told me that you went to the temple today and it was nice to read that you had a really wonderful time while you were there. Today was 20 years since my Grandma Wright passed away. I enjoyed spending almost all day with Mom, Brit was a trooper with the kids and had them for over 8 hours! I really enjoyed the Easter Pageant as well. What a wonderful spiritual day! I love you so much!!! Life is good and let's hope there's lots of sunshine up there by the time we get back!!!!

Tara said...

I think it is really great you wen to the temple on your own. I really admire that, and I think it is good to go alone sometimes. What a perfect way to spend your extra time without the fam! Well, we all wish you were here sorry you had to hold down the fort with work and all...but at least life is good.

Aliece said...

Thanks for all of your sharing! I need to go to the temple more by myself. I guess we all naturally want to be there with our eternal companion. Thanks for sending you family to us for the week! The kids loved being with their cousins!

Michelle said...

Sorry it's taken me awhile to comment. I have never been to the temple alone and I definitely want to go sometime. I am glad that you had such a wonderful experience. We had lots of fun having you over we should do stuff like that more often. I am sure you are glad that your fam is going to be back tomorrow.