Monday, October 13, 2008

Death Magnetic

Most anyone who knows me well knows that I love Metallica, I have since about 6th grade and have continued to love them through thick and thin. Some so called "fans" have complianed about musical style changes or the band trying out different sounds (i.e. St. Anger) to them I say wah...! If you don't like a particular album don't listen! That being said, Death Magnetic, Metallica's newest album since St. Anger in 2003:



Completely rocks! (SORRY for the cliche). As a mix of about every sound the band has tried since Kill em' All back in 1983 (which yes I like) Death Magnetic should turn on the fair weather fans as well as those fans whose "loyalty", wavered when the band released its first video One



in 1989.

Death Magnetic allows a brilliant guitarist Kirk Hammet once again solo like like a mad man and allows fans to truly relish each song as they stretch out to more traditional Metallica lengths of time (around 7 minutes in most cases). I for one was just extatic to have new Metallica tunes to listen to, but the fact that the quality (in my opinion) of each song is amazing. With this album Metallica blazes new ground in that Death Magnetic is the first album to be simultaniously released to record stores, itunes, etc... but also available for download in entirety to play on Guitar Hero 3 the day of record release, good luck novices!

While I actually like each song on the album, and I've listened to it about 20 times, my favorite song is probably Unforgiven 3:



This song hearkens back to the feel of the S & M album recorded with the San Fransisco Philharmonic Orchestra and details the perils of failing to forgive oneself for past transgressions (to blatantly use some Mormon terminology, cause Mormons can rock!). It is in no way indicative of all of the songs on the album, but like I say probably my favorite right now. Give it a listen and let me know what you think! Free plug: I bought the album at Walmart, but the first single I got from iTunes!

So like I have mentioned before, I have a biased opinion, but this album is great. If you are new to Metallica, or have only heard a few songs on the radio, this album is a great introduction to the band and will give you a taste of the different sounds the band has put out over the years. Go out and buy it now and rock it loud!

No comments: