Thursday, January 1, 2009

Is anyone out there?

I think anyone who has a blog would like to be read. I don't think it is narcissistic, I think, as it is for myself, a need to be heard and at least thought about. Granted some people blog just to keep in touch with friends or family and that is fine. Others to espouse their beliefs in politics or sports which is funny because I always have heard that the big 3 things you don't discuss with other are religion, politics, and sports (no maybe that's not right, anyway). The point is that people that blog are putting themselves out into the wide wide world and expressing themselves for others to hear. This is inherently scary for most of us who aren't megalomaniacs and at the same time liberating. It is a good feeling to compose a post, try to put across your thoughts coherently, and then set it free onto the world wide web to reach as many people as you can. Now I'm no Matt Drudge, i have no delusions of being read by hundreds of thousands of people. I would (and do) get excited when one person visits my blog, and maybe people do, but to my knowledge only 4 people ever have and only 3 of those have ever posted a comment. So I guess my question is: Is ANYONE out there?

I get it if you don't find my stuff interesting, I'm a pretty eclectic kinda cat, but let me know. If you think my posts are disturbing let me know, if you don't like my political leaning let me know, if you would like to get me take on a subject let me know I would be happy to oblige. Of course if you think I rock let me know (thanks Tara for all of your positive comments!).

I have been told if you want to be read, or commented on, go out and comment on others. I try to do that, thus far I haven't found that to be so effective. I will keep trying. I don't want to be whiny, and I would like this to represent the silent ones out there in our little sphere, so please read and comment to other people's blogs. They will appreciate it, even if you disagree. Happy New Year!!!

4 comments:

Michelle said...

I definitely know what you mean. When I first started blogging I felt like no one was reading it. I do read your blog and I find it very interesting. I have not ever posted because sometimes I am afraid that I will sound stupid and other times the things you say are pretty deep and I am left feeling speechless in a way. I know you already know I read your blog though, but keep it up because your blog is kind of like a breath of fresh air and it is different in a good way.

Tara said...

This is the funny thing about blogging...people are sometimes afraid to leave a comment. It's scary to make a post, especially a controversial one, and then to make a comment-well that can be scary, too. It's like ok the proof is there, I visited his blog.

I did read once something online about tips for how to have a successful blog. (I was just curious, even though mine is a totally different kind) The article was really interesting they did say to find people who are bloggers who share the same interests as you and make comments on their blogs. You will find a blogging community that you will just grow to love. But, don't feel bad if people aren't commenting it just takes time.

Logan said...

I actually read most of your blog posts, but I never know what to comment on most people's blogs, so I just don't. I just think it's fun to keep up with what people are doing.

Grannie Wright said...

Yoohooooo. Yes I am out here and I do read you blogs. I apologize for not commenting. I think that I am reasonably intelligent. I did comment to Lo that you and Eliza should colloborate and start writing a series of books. You just need a good premise. I have confidence that the seeds are in there. Love, Kathleen